CHRISTOPHER ZOUKIS' PROFESSIONAL RESUME
Christopher Zoukis is an active prisoner advocate and the foremost incarcerated writer in the United States. He regularly contributes to the Huffington Post, Prison Legal News and many other national and international news outlets. He is also the holder of two prestigious PEN American Center Prison Writing Awards, the IBPA's Silver Benjamin Franklin Digital Book Award and The Montaigne Medal (2015 Erik Hoffer Book Award).
This webpage profiles his various academic, legal, religious, professional and literary accomplishments.
National Writing Commitments
Huffington Post Contributing Writer
- 2014-Present, HuffingtonPost.com
Prison Legal News Contributing Writer
- 2013-Present, PrisonLegalNews.org
Blog Critics Contributing Writer
- 2011-Present, BlogCritics.org
New York Journal of Books Book Reviewer
- 2011-Present, nyjournalofbooks.com
AND Magazine Contributing Writer
- 2012-Present, ANDMagazine.com
Federal Prison Handbook: The Definitive Guide to Surviving the Federal Bureau of Prisons (Middle Street Publishing, 2017)
College for Convicts: The Case for Higher Education in American Prisons (McFarland and Company, 2014)
Winner of The Montaigne Medal for most thought-provoking book from The Eric Hoffer Award for Books Committee.
Prison Education Guidebook (Prison Legal News Publishing, 2015)
- Directory of Federal Prisons (Middle Street Publishing, 2014)
- Winner of the IBPA's Silver Benjamin Franklin Digital Book Award
- Education Behind Bars: A Win-Win Strategy for Maximum Security (Sunbury Press, 2012)
- #1 Amazon ranking in Education/Distance Education and Learning
- #4 Amazon ranking in Adult Education
Greg Aunapu, Salkind Literary Agency
- 2011 PEN American Center Prison Writing Awards
- Drama -- Second Place: "Healing Bin Laden" (screenplay)
- Fiction -- Honorable Mention: "Jesusland"
- The Montaigne Medal (2015 Erik Hoffer Book Award)
* College for Convicts
Select Huffington Post Credits
- "If They Lock Me Up, Call My Attorney: The Culture of Retaliation in the Federal Bureau of Prisons"
- "The Dirt Wars: An Intimate Look at Convict Culture in American Prisons"
- "5 Best Items to Send Your Loved One in Prison"
- "Growing Up In Prison: What I've Learned During My Eight Years of Incarceration"
- "USSC Unanimously Votes for Drug Reduction Retroactivity: Thousands of Federal Prisoners to Be Released Early"
- "LGBT Month Celebrated in Federal Prison: A Validation for Lives Dismissed"
- “Drugs Minus Two FAQ: Everything You Need to Know About Amendment 782”
- “Belgian Prisoner Wins ‘Right To Die’”
- “Book Review: Twelve Stones”
- Currently Enrolled at Adams State University
- Bachelors of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies Degree Program (emphasis in Business and Law) [3.9 GPA]).
- Ohio University
- Coursework in Sociology, English, and Mathematics (4.0 GPA)
- Charter Oak State College
- Coursework in Creative Writing and Manuscript Marketing
- Penn Foster High School
- High School Diploma (3.9 GPA)
- Adams State University
- Paralegal Certificate
- Blackstone Career Institute
- Paralegal Diploma With Distinction (96.91% Final Average, 915 Clock Hours)
- Advanced Certificate in Criminal Law and Procedure (98.33% Final Average)
- Advanced Certificate in Civil Litigation (100% Final Average)
- Advanced Certificate in Business & Corporate Law (92.50% Final Average)
- Global University
- Certified Minister Certificate (4.0 GPA)
- Moody Bible Institute
- Personal Ministry and Leadership Series Certificate
- RHEMA Correspondence Bible School
- Christology Certificate
- Dynamics of Faith Certificate
- Healing Truths Certificate
- Life of Prayer Certificate
- 20 Total Courses through RHEMA Correspondence Bible School
- Full Gospel Bible Institute
- Christian Workers Certificate
Writing and Nonprofit Management Coursework
- Long Ridge Writers Group
- Breaking Into Print Diploma (276 Hours of Study)
- SJM Family Foundation
- Grantsmanship & Nonprofit Management Certificate
- International Sports Sciences Association
Personal Trainer Certification
Specialist in Exercise Therapy
- Brigham Young University
- Self-Discipline and Personal Enrichment Course
FCI Petersburg Education Department
- Electronic Law Library ACE Course
- Legal Research ACE Course
- Money Management ACE Course
- American Revolution Self-Paced ACE Course
- World Explorers Self-Paced ACE Course
- Non-Residential Drug Abuse Program (6 month program)
FCI Petersburg Psychology Department
- Alcoholics Anonymous/Narcotics Anonymous Program (25.5 Hours of Class Participation)
- Drug Education Program (12 Hours of Class Participation)
- Smart Recovery Program (24.5 Hours of Class Participation)
- AND Society Contributing Writer
- 2014-Present, ANDSociety.com
- Prison Education News Founder and Contributing Writer
- 2011-Present, PrisonEducation.com/Prison-Education-News/
- Prison Law Blog Founder and Contributing Writer
- 2013-Present, PrisonLawBlog.com
- Corcoran Sun Associate Editor and Contributing Writer
- Education Behind Bars Newsletter Founder and Contributing Writer
- State and Federal Criminal Law Review Contributing Writer
- Texas Criminal Law Review Contributing Writer
- The Update: Federal Criminal and Immigration Law Contributing Writer
In-Prison Legal Practice
- Filed and processed more than 100 Administrative Remedy proceedings for fellow federal prisoners.
- Consulted and assisted in troubleshooting prison living issues with prisoners and staff from all institutional departments and at all levels of administration, including Federal Bureau of Prisons' Regional, Central Office, and Butner Consolidated Legal Center personnel.
- Built a specialized practice dealing with prison disciplinary proceedings, First Amendment complaints, health care petitions, Inmate Financial Responsibility Program (IFRP) objections and fine revisions, TRULINCS restrictions, psychiatric and Gender Identity Disorder treatment/refusal to treat, Special Housing Unit placement issues and objections, Custody/Classification analysis and objections, Sex Offender Treatment Program (SOTP) analysis and placement, and Sex Offender Management Program (SOMP) policy analysis and objections, along with challenging the constitutionality of Correctional Management Plan (CMP) application.
- Policy expert in Federal Bureau of Prisons disciplinary code, health services and psychology services policies, policies concerning sex offender treatment and management, correspondence and publication issues, educational policies, and Special Housing Unit policy.
- Well-experienced in Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and Privacy Act research, filings, and appeals (including refusals to furnish any responsive documents and objecting to withheld or redacted information).
- Expert in Federal Tort Claim research, filings, and appealing adverse findings.
- Prepared and filed numerous pro bono complaints and suits, post-conviction motions, and other pleadings on a pro bono basis for other prisoners asserting criminal and civil rights actions.
- Litigated in all several U.S. district courts and U.S. courts of appeals, along with Virginia Circuit Courts and the Virginia Supreme Court.
Executive Prison Consultants, Associate Consultant
- Primary consultant on prison disciplinary proceedings and appeals.
- General prison consulting on First Amendment, medical, correspondence, prison transfers, religious liberties, education, and staff retaliation/harassment.
- Critique and revisions to Client Handbook
Select Professional Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Criminal Justice Section
- Section on Litigation
- American Civil Liberties Union
- American Correctional Association
- American Society of Journalists and Authors
- Correctional Education Association
- National Association of Independent Writers and Editors
- National Alliance of Sentencing and Mitigation Specialists
- National Lawyers Guild
- National Legal Aid & Defender Association
- Appellate Defender Section
- National Writers Association
- National Writers Union
- PEN American Center
- Pennsylvania Prison Society
- Society of Professional Journalists